Things have come a good distance because the first litter field — E-Z Klean Kitty Toilet — got here out within the Nineteen Forties. E-Z Klean boasted a steel and paper-lined pan full of no matter individuals might discover round their properties, reminiscent of grime, sand or ashes. Today the sky’s the restrict in the case of cat litter hygiene. Cat bins are available all sizes and shapes, lined or uncovered, self-cleaning or manually scooped. Naturally, advances in expertise are mirrored in kitty cleanliness, so app-controlled litter bins are actually all the fad! Here are 9 issues it is advisable to know.
- Automatic litter bins have been round for about 30 years. The first patent for an computerized litter field was filed in 1991. In 1997, The LitterMaid cat field was launched and initially marketed on tv commercials, successful the coveted crimson seal of approval — As Seen on TV. Then in 1999, The Litter Robot was created by Brad Baxter, the present chief government officer of AutoPets, Litter Robot’s father or mother firm.
- Like any equipment, analysis before you purchase. “There’s lots of misinformation when it comes to automatic litter boxes,” says Jacob Zuppke, the chief working officer and president of AutoPets. He says with so many manufacturers available on the market now, cat house owners ought to do their analysis. “It’s really like buying an appliance for your home. Know how they work. Cats deserve a clean litter box, and they’re walking around your house after using them. Automated ones are just humanizing litter boxes.”
- Automatic litter bins will not be for each cat. Pam Johnson-Bennett, creator of a number of books on cat habits and a pioneer in her subject, additionally urges analysis in the case of these high-tech home equipment. “Even though the entire box may be large, the actual usable litter area for the cat is small.” Some grownup cats might discover them uncomfortable. She additionally thinks motorized bins can frighten felines as nicely. Jacob admits that not all cats like automated litter bins. “Our research shows 3% of felines don’t do well with these devices, such as skittish or territorial ones.” The firm says 97% of their prospects do report their cats take to it simply nice and use their automated home equipment frequently.
- The one-litter-box-more-than-the-cats-you have rule nonetheless applies with computerized litter bins. Cat behaviorists like Pam echo considerations about territorial points. “In a multi-cat home, it’s important to recognize that each cat has a preferred personal area. Litter boxes should outnumber the cats by one. If you take a shortcut by using an automatic litter box to accommodate multiple cats, you aren’t addressing the territorial issues. It’s important to provide choice in order to help maintain peace.”
- Technology advances hold enhancing computerized litter bins. Those within the automated litter field business consider advances in expertise will finally handle any points introduced up by cat well being specialists. The business is rising so quick, lots of the improvements being superior within the United States are being shortly copied by pet product producers everywhere in the world, particularly in China. Jacob says his firm’s Litter Robot has particularly advanced just lately, due to a lot analysis and experimentation. The first variations have been extraordinarily costly to supply as a result of they have been vacuum and injection molded. In 2005, the Litter Robot II got here out with its signature “bubble” design, which allowed for more room for the cat. In 2015 the Litter Robot III was invented, the place for the primary time it used gravity to separate the waste from the clear litter.
- Wi-Fi enabled computerized litter bins may also help you monitor kitty’s potty well being. In 2017, the Litter Robot III grew to become probably the most superior with the addition of Wi-Fi, so cat house owners might monitor their cat’s litter field use proper on their smartphones. Jacob factors out that this technological development may also help detect a kitty’s well being points. One day he was notified on his cellphone that his cat went out and in of its bubble 18 instances in a matter of minutes. Turns out, the cat saved going forwards and backwards due to a urinary an infection. However, some behaviorists insist guide scooping remains to be the most effective wager for monitoring well being points. Pam says, “Only by seeing the dirty litter can cat parents see potential issues such as diarrhea, constipation, parasites and excessive amounts of hair or blood. Even though scooping the box isn’t a fun part of living with cats, it may make a big difference in catching potential health problems at the earliest stage.”
- There could also be a weight restrict and a weight most. When it involves what age a cat can use an computerized field or at what dimension, it depends upon the person sort and model. At Litter Robot, a cat must be no less than 5 kilos for the sensory system to work. LitterMaid’s Automatic Multi-Cat Litter Box is for multi cats over 15 kilos whereas its Automatic Single Cat Litter Box is for a single cat beneath 15 kilos. CatGenie’s FAQs states it sees probably the most constant success when utilized by two cats who weigh as much as 20 kilos every. For giant cats, it depends upon how the cat adapts to the within width of 19¼ inches of the CatGenie, however there is no such thing as a weight restrict.
- They don’t use all litters. When it involves cat litter, many fashions use customary clumping litter. The PetProtected ScoopFree Smart Self-Cleaning Litter Box makes use of crystal litter, and the CatGenie AI makes use of washable granules.
- Know your cat. Pet producers, behaviorists and different specialists say the success of utilizing any product is basically all about realizing what your particular cat wants. What works for one is not going to work for all. Pam says, “Cat parents need to learn what matters most when it comes to a litter box set-up for their animals. Don’t just look for the easiest solution.” The of us at Litter Robot assume the business is quickly altering, and improvements to accommodate even probably the most tough cats are coming. In the tip, everybody agrees it doesn’t matter what product you utilize, automated or not, simply be sure that your cat is completely satisfied, wholesome and at all times has a clear litter field.
The Evolution of Litter Boxes
1940: Traditional enamel baking or roasting pans present in U.S. kitchens
1947: First official litter
1960-1970: Plastic litter pans
Seventies: Disposable litter bins
Cat furnishings litter bins
Nineteen Eighties: Litter field sifters
Hooded litter bins
Nineteen Nineties: Top-entry litter bins
Automated litter bins
2017: First Wi-Fi enabled litter field
Coming in 2020s: First litter field to make use of UV-C gentle to eradicate odors/micro organism
First computerized litter field with removable parts for simple cleansing
A+ for Automatic
Not all litter bins are the identical, so do your analysis. Here are simply a number of the newest fashions accessible.
PetProtected ScoopFree Smart Self-Cleaning Litter Box; petsafe.internet
Litter-Robot 3 Connect; litterbox.com
LitterMaid third Edition Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box; littermaid.com
CatGenie AI; catgenie.com